Friday, February 11

laying my burdens down.

First week of classes? Conquered. Here's a rundown on the 5 classes that I am taking (I added one since I last blogged).
1. Quality & Environment International Management Systems 
Such a mouthful. My teacher in this class is super nice, but the class is ssuupperrr boring. Bless his heart. I wish I wasn't taking it, but I am biting the bullet because it is transferring back as one of my core business classes, which is awesome. I think it is going to be easy, just hard to be motivated for it. There are about 6-8 of us in that class. Really small. But it's in english and it ends in April- Praise the Lord! 
(Side note: I am in the International Business Program (IBP) here at the University. The classes in this program are taught in english. Coolest part is that the classes in this program end April 17. Like over. As in done with exams and everything. I am more than happy to participate. 4 out of my 5 classes are in this program.)
2. Entrepreneurial Initiative: Starting & Running a Business
I have this great thing called a stipend. It's awesome. So thankful for it. Because of it though, I am required to take an entrepreneurship class. I think it could be very interesting, but it is too early to tell. Hoping it's awesome.
3. Cross-Cultural Business Behavior
I can say that this is my favorite class that I'm taking. I think it's very interesting to learn about different cultures all around the world and how those should be approached from a business point-of-view. The teacher is indeed a spanish version of Rita Skeeter. No lie. If you don't know who Rita Skeeter is, then you should invest some time into reading the Harry Potter series. As my old roommate (s.e.c.) would say, 'It'll change your life.' 
4. Marketing in the European Union (EU)
I also think this class is going to be very interesting. In the first few classes we are just going to be reviewing the basics of marketing as a whole before we focus on the EU. The teacher is nice and he LOVES handouts. Any opportunity there is - he's got a handout for us. For something that could have easily been put on a slide... "Go green" apparently hasn't hit Spain yet ... We are going on a field trip next week (?) to a guitar factory and I'm pumped. I love field trips. I don't even know the last time I've been on a field trip. But I'm so excited! Haha
5. Business Spanish
This class is hard. It's in spanish, which makes sense since it is for the local students. But who knew someone could talk so fast!?!? You know back in the day when we had cassette tapes? And when you would fast-forward it sometimes it would play the song super fast in a high-pitched, chipmunk-like voice?? This is my teacher (but not so high-pitched). So I spend the two hours in the class trying to dissect and comprehend what she is saying. Four of the other App students are in that class with me, so we are hoping that with all of us put together, we can pass. This is my one class taught by the University. The university classes go until the middle of June. So after my business classes end in mid-April, I will indeed have ONE class until the end of May (exams go until mid-June). It.is.awesome.


The University of Alicante is very different from good ol' Appalachian State University. I think this is a European thing, but everyone carries around a pencil pouch. It's great. And for their notebooks, it is not college or wide ruled, but all graph paper. I think that is also European. Who knows. They serve alcohol on campus at the cafeterias. So crazy. The computers in the library are ancient and huge. But my favorite thing is the coffee vending machine (may quite possibly turn to an obsession). Yes, I have seen them in the States, but these are on point. So cheap and so good, every time. 


God really has just been teaching me a lot and opening my eyes since I've been here. One awesome way He's been moving is in my wonderful relationship with my boyfriend :) I am so grateful that Christ is our rock and our foundation! I truly believe that He holds all things together and I feel so blessed! I miss him so much and obviously wish I could be with him(/or him be here, which would be awesomeee), but I'm choosing to be thankful for this time in our lives and in our relationship! Praying that He does some amazing things in these next few months!! 
My sweet sweet YoungLife leader wrote on her blog about a week and a half ago about Libby Ryder. Libby is 27, a new mother, and a wife. In July, Libby was diagnosed with cancer. I went to her blog and have been so blessed through reading her story - her testimony.  She is genuine and real about her struggles and triumphs. It's so awesome to see how she is impacting so many with her faith and how the body of Christ comes together. Her story is so awesome, because GOD is so awesome!! Be praying for her and her family, and for positive results for her upcoming PET scan!!
Libby's blog is here: http://libbyryder.blogspot.com/ 






Let us fix our eyes on Jesus...
Consider him who endured such opposition
from sinful men,
so that you will not grow weary 
and lose heart.
-Heb.12:2,3

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that everything is working out the way that it should! I can't wait to hear more about it and talk to you more and more! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome that you will only have one class for May and June!! I'm sure that one spanish class with the chipmunk voice teacher will be enough to keep you busy. :)

    The university culture is fun to read about! It's always the little things about another country that are so fun to learn and see firsthand.

    Can't wait to talk to you soon!! Love YOU

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey. its libby here. thanks for posting about us. who is you yl leader? enjoy spain. i love that country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. libby- your welcome! your story is awesome and know you've got prayers coming your way from spain!! :) my yl leader is meredith mcdaniel. her blog is http://mcdanielblog.blogspot.com/!

    ReplyDelete