Saturday, December 31

Happy 2012, I'm off to Africa!!

That's right folks!! I leave for AFRICA tomorrow!! I can not believe it is actually here. I was so so busy with exams, and Christmas that it snuck up on me. In the first wee hours of 2012 (IN LESS THAN 9 HOURS), I will be boarding a plane headed to Lilongwe, Malawi for TWO weeks!!! I am beyond excited. I feel so blessed to be able to go on a trip like this and cannot wait to get there!! 


I have to answer three more questions for my Malawi class, so without further ado, here are the final questions:


Question One: List the two greatest achievements of NGO's in Malawi.
Throughout our readings and research, we have found obvious achievements of NGO's in Malawi. In my opinion, one of the greatest achievements they've had is the education that they have given the local people which is priceless. They are able to help get children to school when otherwise, they might not have had the chance. They also have NGO's that give people knowledge on how to help protect themselves against AIDS and HIV, personal hygiene, and safe sex. Another important thing I believe NGO's have been able to do in Malawi is being able to provide aid to the people there. There are now more clinics set up than in the past which can provide different types of aid. 


Question Two: List the two most common reasons why NGO's disband/fail.
One of the most common reasons that NGO's disband is when the mission is no longer appropriate and the non-profit struggles between it's original mission and with relative security. These are two constant, competing tendencies  that can become extreme when organizations are under pressure, and ultimately lead to disband or failure. The second reason is the risk/survival analysis, finding the proper balance between organizational extension and risk taking and organizational security. There is a point where a line needs to be drawn between the public service mission and the organizational security which can be a struggle for NGO's and can also lead to disband or failure. 


Question Three: Which is more challenging, managing cash flow in a non-profit or a regular business? Why?
Managing cash flows in a non-profit organization is more challenging than that of a regular business due to the fact that it may or may not be an unsteady inflow. This can result in a shortfall of cash during the year and force the NGO to alternative routes to resolve this problem. Some of the routes include reserve funds, liquidate assets, borrow money from a trustee, or a loan from a bank. 



So my bags are packed and I'm ready to go. I probably won't sleep well tonight. You know, pre-trip anxiousness (I'm 22 years old and this still happens before every trip) and the fact that fireworks will be going off all night long (happynewyears!!). Also a fun piece of information:: Gray and I will have been dating for THREE YEARS in two days!!! :) :) So blessed. He is the best ever. He's being super sassy that I won't be here (typical) but I'm bringing him a baby lion cub in return for my absence. Fair trade. 
Well, I'm off to go do some last minute things. Please be praying for me and my time in Malawi! Can't wait to share my new adventures with you :)


THIS is the confidence we have in approaching God:
that is we ask anything according to his will, 
he hears us.
And if we know he hears us - whatever we ask - 
we know that we have what we asked of him.
-1John5:14-15


No comments:

Post a Comment